The next big decision was choosing my grout color. I made up a couple of test boards out of old scraps of tile so I could see what the colors would actually look like once it was pushed into all the nooks and crannies of the tiles:
I didn't love how the dark grout accentuated the holes in the tile (and really made it obvious when grout lines weren't even.) On the other hand, the light grout color really masks any imperfections in the grout. I LOVED that.
It is always important to look at your test colors in the actual room you will be using them, so I carried my boards upstairs and leaned them against the shower walls to get a better feel for the final product:
After stepping back and thinking about it for a while I decided the light color was almost perfect. I did want the tiles to stand out a little more so I settled on one shade darker, but nowhere near as dark as my second sample color. Fingers crossed!
Budget for this part of the remodel: $32.27
511 Impregnantor: $32.27
Grout for color test: $0
Renovation Total to Date: $1175.15