However, as part of my $25/week challenge, I wanted a cheap and easy protein rich meal and quiche fit the bill! I typically make Quiche Lorraine (which features bacon, onions and cheese) but I wanted to lighten this new version up a little.
So for this recipe I added fresh steamed asparagus, as well as replacing one of the whole eggs with 2 egg whites. Sure, 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream plus the butter laden crust is still not “diet” by any means, but every calorie matters!
The salty bacon and freshness of asparagus combined with the smooth rich egg custard make this hearty quiche a perfect brunch entree.
1/2 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed, chopped & parcooked
6 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
2 whole eggs plus 2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups half & half
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 onion diced and browned
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Line pie crust with foil and bake for 5 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven to cool.
- In separate pans,chop and precook bacon, asparagus and onion. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, cream, cheese sugar and spices.
- Arrange bacon and asparagus in pie shell, place in oven on cookie sheet and carefully add egg custard mix. Sprinkle with remaining cheese
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes, reduce to 350° and bake additoinal 25 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
The key to this recipe is pre-cooking a bunch of the ingredients. You need to steam the asparagus, cook the bacon, sweat the onions and pre-bake the crust. Once you have all the ingredients prepped, making the quiche is easy.
Arrange the bacon, onions and asparagus in your par-baked pastry shell.
And here is a tip I learned from my mom: Put the quiche in the over BEFORE adding the custard mix. This means you won’t spill or need to balance a really full pie pan!
Bake and serve warm (although this recipe reheats great!)