Plus the nasty brass shower frame was a haven for mildew and soap scum. I can't wait to have a frameless door!
A little refresher about how the shower and knee wall looked before:
First step was tearing out the knee wall. I needed to figure out exactly what was housed inside (hoping there was no plumbing in there):
A few layers later and I realized it was EMPTY!! The whole thing could go! This was also my chance to take down the glass shower walls:
Doesn't it seem so much more open without the brass frame and oversized pony wall?
After the walls were out I started tackling the tile. That was a LOT of pounding.
By the end of Day one I was left with this:
And a whole lot of trash in the garage:
Day two was a lot like day one. I continued to remove the tile and wallboard on the other side of the shower (this is a common wall with my neighbor, hence the insulation):
I then went on and removed the "faux marble" surround on the tub:
The last big headache was removing the super heavy (fused to the floor) shower pan. Eventually I got it out and revealed that the floor was super thing. 5/16" plywood. I knew I would have to re-inforce it. But that is another day's project.
It always looks worse before it gets better. And this is evidence of that: