I also added about 1/2 a cup of vinegar to the water as a dye fixer
Let them soak until they are as dark as you like.
Also note: Because I didn't fluff them apart, the ones in the center of the stack were much lighter since the liquid didn't penetrate as well. I liked the different shades of green. If you want them all the exact same color, you need to make sure you separate the filters before dying them.
Drain the filters in a colander
Seperate them and allow them to dry. At this point many of the filters may stuck together in small stacks of 3-4. If you want them to dry faster you can take the time to peel them apart one by one, or let them dry a little and they will peel apart much more easily. The less filters per stack, the faster they will dry.
Just cut it to length and tape it into a circle.
To make the ruffles, first fold the filters into quarters.
Twist the folded corner and fluff the little floret.
Using a hot glue gun add the filters to the wreath form.
Stuff them in pretty close together, to give you the fullest effect
Continue all the way around the wreath.
If you have any extra filters at the end, you can go back and fill in any areas that may show a gap or that don't seem very full.
To hang the wreath I used a small segment of ribbon, attached with two straight pins. Add a drop hot glue to the pins so they don't pull out.
And there you have it!
I love how it turned out, and I LOVE the fact it was only $4!