Today’s post is a really fun one. In the spirit of those Fashion Design Reality Shows (a genre I ADORE) I wanted to make my own haute couture piece of fashion; A Kim Six original. And with Awards Show season right around the corner, I was inspired to create my own high fashion red carpet dress, since why not? Right?
Now I personally won’t be walking the red carpet anytime soon, but I was thinking something a little more “crafty” like this sequin adorned dress form I recently saw in a store. This would be the perfect table top decoration for a appetizer table at a Red Carpet party! (And there is no need to squeeze into one myself!)
Now if you watch Fashion Design Competition Shows at all, you know they have ‘unconventional materials’ challenges every season. Where, instead of using fabric, they use things that you would never associate with high fashion. And this is exactly what I did:
I have ALWAYS said I would never ever write a post about either feminine hygiene products or toilet paper, but today I have to eat those words.. Because paper towels and toilet paper were the PERFECT materials for this project.
That is right! This darling little A-line dress is made of nothing more than Bounty paper towels and Charmin toilet tissue. (Did you see that coming?)
The only other supplies I needed for this dress were a scissors, a few straight pins and a little white school glue.
I started by creating the skirt out of paper towels that were cut in half.
I then curled them over and folded them down to make little “cones” which I pinned to dress form.
I went all the way around the mannequin allowing every other cone to overlap the previous one.
That is all there was to the bottom of the dress. Nothing but bounty paper towels:
The top of the dress was slightly trickier. I unrolled a couple sheets of Charmin toilet paper, cut it down the long ways and then folded it in thirds (using a tiny swipe of glue to keep the folds flat.
Then I started around mid-chest level and began layering the strips at an angle and pinning them to the dress form.
Next I covered the pin heads with more strips going in the opposite direction. And finally more rows which wrapped all the way from font to back, forming the ‘sleeve’ of the dress. These straps went all the way from the waist on the front to the waist on the back, so that the pin heads were at the waistline. Finally I added a ‘belt’ at the waist to cover all the pin heads from both the skirt and the final shoulder straps.
I used a little glue to secure the belt in the back. And with that, there were no more exposed pin heads. That was all there was to it! Here is what it looks like from the back.
I absolute love it. (More than I thought I would.. actually.)
And the funniest part is, that if you look really close, you can see the word “Bounty” stamped into the skirt.
My favorite fashion instructor would be so proud! I "MADE IT WORK"!