The Kim Six Fix: December 2011

How an ugly owl saved me $34

Today at the thrift store I found this little fellow:

He was $3.  It even looks like someone tried to "fix him up" by painting his eyeballs.  Really they only reminded me of the Apple Power Button:

It also looks like he previously served a purpose: holding scouring pads by the sink.  Hence the giant gaping hole in the back of his head and rust stains in the bottom:
Now I know what you are thinking.  That is one UGLY owl.  

Why yes, yes it is.  

And you are asking yourself, why did I waste $3 perfectly good dollars on an ugly owl?  That could buy me half a Starbucks Latte!!

The answer once again lies with Pinterest**.  I knew I can make him look like this:
Much better isn't it?

All it took was a little of spray paint that includes a primer in high gloss white.

Now my little buddy sits in my Solarium window and will eventually hold a little plant (instead of Brillo pads.)

Total cost of project:
$3 Owl
$3.44 Paint (although I only used about 10% of a can)
Total: $6.44


And tonight I almost dropped dead when I found THIS on etsy. Price Tag: $40!! 
Look familiar?!? I guess I just saved myself $34!

E really really wanted me to paint him bright pink.  I guess she gets her 'good ideas gene' from her mom:


Also from Etsy


 Now I just need to find another ugly owl.



**The inspiration came from this pin (actually, I saw the original owl on The Nester but was reminded of it by this pin on Pinterest. Since then there are dozens of white painted ceramic owls on there, but she is where I saw it first.)

Pasta Snowflakes!

The girls and I finished up another Pinterest project tonight and they came out too cute not to share.

The original pin was for these macaroni snowflakes.
 
Because I had some dyed pasta left over from a project I did with the girls earlier this fall (making wagon wheel necklaces) I thought I would give it a shot.

Here is what we ended up with:
 
It was really simple.  We took the mini wheel pasta and used plain white school glue to assemble snowflakes.  

 
Even my two year old could do it (although her snowflakes were more like snowballs!) How do you like that orange and green "fall" pasta.  It is just regular pasta mixed with a little rubbing alcohol and a couple drops of food color and then left to dry.

 
We assembled the snowflakes on waxed paper so that we would be able to peel them off without breaking them (the glue dripped downwards due to gravity and we didn't want to glue them to the table.)

After they were dry I had intended to spray them white like the original idea and sprinkle them with clear glitter.

Unfortanately, I don't have any white spray paint.. but I did have high gloss silver/chrome that I used for my bathroom debrassifying!
It looked AWESOME!

I also sprinkled a few with glitter, but I am not sure I like it much more than the plain ones. It is harder to tell it is actually pasta.

 All in all I think they came out FANTASTIC.  Maybe even better than the original!